A mediator is a neutral, unbiased third party who helps people to settle disputes outside of court.
- help people work toward solutions when solutions seem impossible.
- keep people talking when they are ready to walk away.
- acknowledge anger and frustration, without letting them derail the process.
- channel energy away from blame and retribution and into solving the problems at hand.
- take sides, or support either party at the expense of the other.
- impose a solution. Instead, he or she will help both parties to generate workable ideas and arrive at a mutually acceptable agreement.